Saturday, December 17, 2011

zaterdag 17 december 2011

zaterdag 17 december 2011 Up at 5:34. Watch Legend Of The Seeker - Baneling. The Seeker discovers a new creature called a baneling: Dead souls who bargain with the Keeper for a second life in exchange for killing a person each day. A young boy reveals himself to be a baneling by killing a monk – thus drives home just how desperate and dangerous circumstances are becoming.
Beet salad, couscous and tomato for breakfast. Watch France 24 - The Observers. Troops in riot gear baton-charged protesters in Cairo. Report - Clashes Between Army And Protesters Enter Second Day. Listen to Eat The State. Geov and Maria talk about the under-reported and over-hyped stories of 2011. I trek our to Northgate. #41 at 9:04. I browse the books at Barnes & Noble. I discover the Star Trek Book Of Opposites. Cute.
#345 over to the Bitter Lake neighborhood. I'm fascinated by the contrasts... by the tackiness of Aurora Avenue and the cute homes along the residential streets. Listen to Wait, Wait on my radio. Bill Maher Plays Not My Job. #358 back to d'town. Back at my place. I relax and listen to the Hawaiian Radio Connection. The 12 Days Of Christmas Hawaiian Style.

Walk around Capitol Hill in the sunshine. It's a whole 51 degrees. Listen to Rick Steves. Rick is introduced to Santa's European relatives including Baba Noël, Grandfather Frost, Saint Nicholas, Krampus, and even Sammi Claus and Schwartzley. It's the Dutch tradition of Sinterklaas which interests me.

De Sint steams into Amsterdam from Madrid with his sidekick Zwarte Piet. But this year, Zwarte Piet (Black Peter) is a controversial figure. People protesting against him in Amsterdam and Dordrecht were arrested, in what some are calling police brutality. I find the use of blackface a bizarre component of these festivities. Yet, maybe I don't know Jack.
Finish the 3rd disk of Children Of Dune. He wakes up from a trance, panting. "What are you doing to me?! That's spice essence!"
Couscous and tofu for dinner. Watch France 24. Watch a program about Oyster Farming. Report - Oysters Disappearing Worldwide. Mon dieu. The French love their oysters, especially for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment