Sunday, May 15, 2011

zondag 15 mei 2011

zondag 15 mei 2011 At Midnight +17 minutes I watch Red Planet Mars. An American scientist - played by Peter Graves - is able to contact and communicate with Mars with shattering political, economic, and spiritual repercussions. "Those must be canals."
Made way back in 1952, the film gets into Soviet conspiracy theories. The wife gets a little un-hinged from time to time about the so-called advancement of scientific knowledge. "This may be the end of us all!" After she tells her son, Stewart, to do his homework, I conk out. I don't get to the earth-shattering political, economic, and spiritual repercussions.
Some noise out in the hall wakes me up. Oh, well. Let's watch another movie - Mystery Science Theater 3000: Eegah. Teenagers stumble across a prehistoric caveman, who goes on a rampage. In an attempt to inject a little of the 1960s "beach party" genre into our monster movie, they play Vicky by Archy Hall & The Archers. Joel mocks Tom for his blond-surfer-studmuffin good looks. "It looks like it hurts to be him."
It actually hurts to be Eegah. Eegah makes his way to a pool where Roxy and Tom are partying. There the police catch up with the monster as he catches Roxy, and shoot him dead. The film ends with Eegah lying dead in the swimming pool. Rice and tofu for breakfast. Now it's radio time. Listen to Community Forum. Andrew Cornell is an activist and co-founder of the Movement for a New Society. He recently spoke at Denny Hall at the University of Washington about equality, communal living, Gandhi, un-learning oppressive behavior and protest. For the Seattle crowd, he talked about the WTO protests of 1999.

Switch to NPR for a little while. They interview Chef Barton Seaver about seafood. Report - Eating Fish Sustainably, 'For Cod And Country' and the Blue Crab seems like an interesting creature. Hey! Be nice to that crab!

They also give us samples of Ben Harper's soul and blues. Report - Ben Harper: Me, Myself And I. Switch to Netfilx. So, I try to brace myself for Battle In Seattle. I already heard that it's a tough movie. For the first 30 minutes, I'm going, "Oh! That's Seattle, that's Union Street, that's Westlake Park, that's the banner!" I remember the banner. It was close to work. We went home early from work that day.
Then further into the film, we get down to the nitty gritty... the protests, the police, the riots and chaos. I get out my old diary to review those days. On Tuesday, Nov. 30, the protests started early. The police sandwiched me in between Terry and Boren. The protesters were at 8th and Seneca. My nerves were rattled. We heard news of the curfew, and my supervisor let me go home early from work.
After the movie, I have to get some fresh air... and some fresh rain. It's been rainy all day. Walk up to 11th and turn the corner at The Wildrose. Walk down Pike back to my place. Shower. Watch double feature of Stargate Universe - Pathogen (What's Going On With Chloe?) and Cloverdale.
Cloverdale is a bit of a mind-bender. Lieutenant Scott is infected by a plant-like organism while surveying a planet, and suffers severe hallucinations of another life back home on Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment